In late 2022, my personal/pet project
W0CHP-PiStar-Dash, went from hundreds of
users, to thousands of users in less than 3 months. A few awesome users and
fans/volunteers had setup official online communities for
support and general discussion. As a result, many repeated questions and
statements have surfaced…
This is a compiled list of the FAQs and FMS. Some are rather rudimentary, lazy, strange and silly; and some are merited.
You need to know/remember, that this software was derived (“forked”) from the original Pi-Star software, and has diverged & changed so much, it’s now quite different. Expect to learn and figure out these differences and nuances. It really has become, and continues to become, it’s “own” software.
- How do I install/download
I cannot even believe this is asked, I’m an not even going to answer it. 🤦♂️
- Do I have to use DMRGateway for various DMR Networks? I used to be able to select a single DMR master from a huge drop-down list!
You don’t have to, but it’s the only supported method; as DMR “direct mode” in
MMDVMHostis the “old”, legacy way. You can always manually enter the information in your
MMDVMHostconfig file yourself.
DMRGatewayis the preferred, supported method.
- The dashboard is so slow! And my CPU utilization is very high on my Pi Zero!
As I’ve written in many other places,
W0CHP-PiStar-Dashwas never written for single-core, low-powered/weak hardware. You need a modern Raspberry Pi with 4 cores; such as a Pi Zero 2, Pi 3, 4, etc.
It is strongly suggested that you thoroughly read my DMR Operation & Functionality with
- Can I change the colors of the Live Caller Screen?
There is no user interface facility that supports this. You can always hack the Live Caller Screen CSS yourself.
- Do you have any disk images for other platforms other than Raspberry Pi?
Unfortunately, I do not at this time (RPi is the only platform I currently possess/have access to). However, this is something I’d like to change. Once I and the few volunteer developers have access to other platforms and architectures, we plan on supporting and providing disk images for those platforms.
- The Caller Details (and other) functions are disabled and grayed out!!! Help!!!"
Your hardware is too weak to support these (resource intensive) features. It clearly says this when you hover over the (disabled) option.
- Do I need to use the 4/5/6/7/8/9/etc. DMR talkgroup prefixes for network X/Y/Z/etc?
You don’t have to, and you can manually change these prefixes in the
DMRGatewayconfig file, but you will likely lose the TG name lookup functionality if you enabled it.
- The original Pi-Star software did/has/can do X/Y/Z, but this software doesn’t!!!???!"
You absolutely need to understand, that this software is very different. Please read the documentation; specifically the section entitled “Features, Enhancements and Omissions”.
- I have my DMR codeplugs setup for no prefixes/prefix “N” and I don’t wanna change them! But I still want to use DMRGateway!!"
Don’t be a lazy fucking ham. Either change your codeplugs, or hand-edit the DMRGateway config for your desired prefix (STFW).
- What is the “Node Type Public/Private” option?
If you must ask, you should leave it set to private.
- I run a repeater, and I’m trying to set it up for fully-open, public usage; but I can’t make it public unless I enter/whitelist every single DMR/CCS7 ID/Callsign?!?!
Not true; If you are a true repeater keeper/sysop/owner, you should be or become aware of
dstarrepeater’s configuration file options to make them wide-open and fully-public. I will not cover them here. You will note, that this software is mainly geared toward personal hotspot management vs. public repeater management.
- What’s the “DMR Roaming Beacon” option?
It’s for actual repeater (not hotspot) usage. And if you run a DMR repeater, and still don’t know what a DMR Roaming beacon is, you should probably leave it alone.
- The software update failed! Disk is in read-only mode, etc. Help!
Simply re-run the update.
- How can I reinstall?!?! I broke shit!
sudo WPSD-Installer -id
- I want feature X/Y/Z!!!
Then roll up your sleeves and contribute the feature/code.
- Hey can you do X/Y/Z for me?!
- The “tone” of this website, the author/developer and the
W0CHP-PiStar-Dashweb page puts me off and I’m offended!!!
I don’t fucking care, and no one else does either. Bitching about this in the official online communities will likely result in public mockery and will get you banned. The communities are quite friendly and vibrant; and using them as your platform to seek attention and whine like a little girl won’t be tolerated.
- Hey I have this idea for
W0CHP-PiStar-Dash/ Hey I got
W0CHP-PiStar-Dashto do X/Y/Z!!!
I don’t care. Unless you submit code for everyone’s' benefit. “Show me the money”, or STFU. I embrace contributions/results; not talk.